Warning: It Could Start A Fire If You Leave Bottled Water In Your Car?

Water Bottles are Fire Hazard in Cars

It is really important to drink water and stay hydrated as the temperatures rise in the summer months but could leaving bottled water in your car start a fire? Fire officials are issuing a public warning about the dangers of leaving water bottles inside vehicles during hot temperatures.

You probably already know it’s not a great idea to drink bottled water that’s been sitting in a hot car, but there’s now a new warning out there. Apparently, those abandoned water bottles can also be a fire hazard! Idaho Power employee Dioni Amuchastegui was eating lunch in his truck this week when he noticed something amiss with the water bottle on the seat next to him.

Leaving Bottled Water In Your Car Could Start A Fire, Eblogazine

While working outside in blistering 100-degree heat in Boise, Idaho, Dioni Amuchastegui unknowingly made a dangerous mistake — he left bottled water in the front seat of his truck.

"I was taking an early lunch and sitting in the truck. I happened to notice some smoke out of the corner of my eye, and I looked over and noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire," Amuchastegui explained.

puting a water bottle catch your car on fire, eblogazine

Amuchastegui claims the light reflected through his water bottle was so hot that it burned a pair of holes into his passenger seat. In a video demonstrating what happened, a thermometer records the light's temperature as 211 degrees. "It's not something you really never expect - puting a water bottle catch your car on fire," he added. He also expained that round plastic bottle filled with clear water can act as a lens that concentrates the sun's energy on one point. 

Also, Firefighters Warn People Not to Keep Water Bottles Inside Car During Hot Day. At least be sloppy and leave the bottles on the floor, like I do. They’re not likely to see much sun down there. Your car will be messy, but it’ll be fire-free.

The video caught the attention of the Midwest City Fire Department in Oklahoma, who referenced it on their Facebook page as a public safety warning, albeit low-risk, during the sunny summer months.